Full-Time Faculty Election
Call for Candidates to Serve on the WCM Board of Fellows
The term of our current Full-time Faculty (FTF) Representative on the Board of Fellows will expire on June 30, 2022. We thank Dr. Silvia Formenti for representing the Faculty on the Board these past three years.
This year the Board has inaugurated a more inclusive process for the selection of the FTF Representative. To engage more faculty, WCM is implementing a Campus-wide Call for Candidates to be nominated by their peers. Toward this end, the Board also has restructured the selection committee to be comprised solely of members of the General and Executive Faculty Councils (the Nominating Committee of the Faculty).
As that Nominating Committee, we encourage you to review below the responsibilities of the FTF Representative and the Selection Criteria. If you are interested in seeking nomination or would like to recommend someone, please follow the submission guidelines below. We recommend that potential nominees discuss the time commitment with their division chief or chair.
The early deadline for submissions is April 12th; final deadline is April 20th.
NOTE – only eligible applicants with complete submission packets will be reviewed.
Want to chat with a former FTF Rep? Send one a quick email:
Silvia Formenti, MD: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lorraine Gudas, PhD: email@example.com
Katherine Hajjar, MD: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions on the process, please email them to email@example.com.
Nominating Committee of the Faculty
General Faculty Council Representatives
Steven S. Gross, PhD, Co-Chair, Professor of Pharmacology
Alexis Halpern, MD, Asst Professor of Emergency Medicine
Ashutosh Kacker, MD, Professor of Clinical Otolaryngology
Executive Faculty Council Representatives
Katherine Hajjar, MD, Co-Chair, Sr Assoc Dean (Faculty), Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine, and Cell and Developmental Biology
Lorraine Gudas, PhD, Professor and Chair of Pharmacology
Geraldine McGinty, MD, Sr Assoc Dean (Clinical Affairs), Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology and Population Health Sciences
FTF Representative Eligibility
The Full-time Faculty Representative must be a member of the full-time faculty at the time of the election. The 3-year term runs from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2025.
Role and Responsibilities
The Full-time Faculty Representative will:
- be a full voting member of the Weill Cornell Medicine Board of Fellows (WCM’s governing body)
- attend quarterly Board of Fellows meetings (2-4 hours per quarter)
- attend Board committee meetings and advise on institutional projects, based on his/her foci within the academic mission (e.g., Student Affairs and Education, Research and Entrepreneurship, International Affairs, External Relations), (3-4 hrs/month)
- attend after-hours Board of Fellows events whenever possible
- serve as liaison between the Board and the entire Faculty, providing the faculty’s perspective on institutional topics that may come before the various Board committees, and regularly reporting to the Faculty through formal presentations to the Faculty Councils and other mechanisms identified from time to time
Service as the FTF Representative is an opportunity to build relationships with members of the Board and other members of the WCM community and to influence the broader institutional culture. The time commitment varies depending on the extent of your engagement with Board committees and optional activities. Average time for an active Board member is approximately 10-15 hours per quarter.
Selection Criteria for Full-time Faculty Rep to Board of Fellows
Candidates for the Full-time Faculty Representative to the Board will have demonstrated their:
1) dedication to being a leader at Weill Cornell Medicine, including successful steps toward developing knowledge and experience in understanding
- WCM’s goals and objectives for its missions of education, clinical care, and research, and the central operations supporting them
- the relationship between the Medical College and NYP and among WCM and its many partners in the neighborhood and beyond
- the connections and opportunities offered within the One Cornell family
2) commitment to WCM through service activities within the institution
3) availability and interest in participating regularly in
- Full-Board and Board Committee meetings and activities
- Ongoing liaison and outreach communications with the Faculty
1) Hold a Full-time Faculty appointment at WCMC
2) Submit – with clearly identified document naming:
a) either a recommendation letter from a WCM faculty member OR for self-nomination, a personal statement describing your own interest and qualifications
b) the candidate’s current CV (Full CV or an NIH-style biosketch)
c) Upload all materials via this Qualtrics Survey by one of the 2 deadlines --the Early Deadline (4/12/22) or Final Deadline (04/20/22). We encourage early submission, but this will not affect your review.
Key Election Dates 2022
1) Submission Packets Due: 2 deadline options -- the Early Deadline (4/12/22) or Final Deadline (04/20/22)
2) Nominating Committee of Faculty recommends 3 nominees to Dean (4/26)
3) Dean accepts OR convenes meeting with Committee to discuss (4/29)
4) Dean submits 3 nominees to Membership & Governance (M&G) Committee with his recommendation (5/4)
5) M&G votes on nominee and submits to Board of Fellows for election (5/9)