Articles in professional peer-reviewed journals:
1. Gurland IA, Korn L, Edelman L, Wallach F. An unusual manifestation of acquired syphilis. Clin Infect Dis 2001 Feb 15;32(4):667-669.
2. Korn LM, Reichert S, Simon T, Halm EA. Improving physicians’ knowledge of the costs of medications and willingness to consider costs when prescribing. J Gen Intern Med 2003 Jan;18(1):31-37.
3. Kern LM, Powe NR, Levine MA, Fitzpatrick AL, Harris TB, Robbins J, Fried LP. Association between screening for osteoporosis and the incidence of hip fracture. Ann Intern Med 2005 Feb;142(3):173-181.
4. Mushlin AI, Kern LM, Paris M, Lambert DR, Williams G. The value of diagnostic information to patients with chest pain suggestive of coronary artery disease. Med Decis Making 2005 Mar-Apr;25:149-157.
5. Kern LM, Callahan MA, Brillon DJ, Vargas M, Mushlin AI. Glucose testing and insufficient follow-up of abnormal results: A cohort study. BMC Health Serv Res 2006 Jul;6:87.
6. Mukamal KJ, Robbins JA, Cauley JA, Kern LM, Siscovick DS. Alcohol consumption, bone density and hip fracture among older adults: The Cardiovascular Health Study. Osteoporos Int 2007 May;18(5):593-602.
7. Hripcsak G, Kaushal R, Johnson KB, Ash JS, Bates DW, Block R, Frisse ME, Kern LM, Marchibroda J, Overhage JM, Wilcox AB. The United Hospital Fund meeting on evaluating health information exchange. J Biomed Inform 2007 Dec;40(Suppl 6):S3-10.
8. Kern LM, Kaushal R. Health information technology and health information exchange in New York State: new initiatives in implementation and evaluation. J Biomed Inform 2007 Dec;40(Suppl 6):S17-20.
9. Bang H, Mazumdar M, Kern LM, Shoham DA, August PA, Kshirsagar AV. Validation and comparison of a novel screening guideline for kidney disease: KEEPing SCORED. Arch Int Med 2008;168(4):432-435.
10. Spencer AL, Kern LM. Primary care program directors’ perceptions of women’s health education. J Womens Health 2008 Apr;17(4):1-8.
11. Kern LM, Barron Y, Blair AJ, Salkowe J, Chambers D, Callahan MA, Kaushal R. Electronic laboratory result viewing and quality of care in small group practices. J Gen Intern Med 2008 Apr;23(4):405-410.
12. Kshirsagar AV, Bang H, Bomback AS, Vupputuri S, Shoham DA, Kern LM, Klemmer PJ, Mazumdar M, August PA. A simple algorithm to predict incident kidney disease. Arch Intern Med 2008 Dec 8;168(22):2466-2473.
13. Kern LM, Barron Y, Abramson EL, Patel V, Kaushal R. HEAL NY: Promoting interoperable health information technology in New York State. Health Aff (Millwood) 2009;28(2):493-504.
14. Kern LM, Dhopeshwarkar R, Barron Y, Wilcox A, Pincus H, Kaushal R. Measuring the effects of health information technology on quality of care: A novel set of proposed metrics for electronic quality reporting. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2009 Jul;35(7):359-369.
15. Bang H, Edwards AM, Bomback AS, Ballantyne CM, Brillon D, Callahan MA, Mushlin AI, Kern LM. Development and validation of a patient self-assessment score for diabetes risk. Ann Intern Med 2009 Dec 1;151(11):775-783.
16. Kaushal R, Kern LM, Barrón Y, Quaresimo J, Abramson EL. Electronic Prescribing Improves Medication Safety in Community-Based Office Practices. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Feb 26. [Epub ahead of print]
17. Kaushal R, Kern LM. The value of electronic health records with decision support. A report for The Institute of Medicine’s Healthcare Imperative: Lowering Costs, Improving Outcomes. [In press]
Books, book chapters and reviews:
1. Kern LM. Funding of clinical research leads to improved health and long-term financial savings [review]. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management 2006 Jul;13(7):367-368.
2. Kern LM. Are diabetes disease management programs achieving clinically relevant outcomes? [review] Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management 2006 Nov;13(11):596, 600.
3. Kern LM. Does the structure of medical practice predict quality of care? [review] Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management 2007 Mar;14(3):127,131.
4. Kern LM. Long-term benefit and cost-effectiveness of screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm [review]. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management 2007 Jul;14(7):386-388.
5. Kern LM. Screening for atrial fibrillation in older adults detects more cases than usual care [review]. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management 2007 Mar;14(3):127,131.
6. Kaushal R, Shapiro J, Kern LM. The future of RHIOs in New York [letter]. Health Aff (Millwood) 2008; published as an e-letter on May 6 at http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/eletters/27/1/w60.
7. Kern LM, Kaushal R. Interoperable electronic health records and quality of care. Expert Commentary for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s National Quality Measure Clearinghouse. [Forthcoming]
8. Ancker J, Kern LM, Patel V, Abramson E, Kaushal R. Health information technology and public health. In: Finkel ML, ed. Perspectives in Public Health: Challenges for the 21st Century. [Forthcoming]