Cardiac cell and tissue electrophysiological modelingFor examples of our work in this area, please see the following recent publications (additional papers can be found on the Publications page):
We are using 0D (i.e., single cell) to 3D models of cardiac cells and tissue to better understand the electrophysiological dynamics and ionic components of cardiac repolarization (such as alternans, APD restitution, and gradients of refractoriness), cardiac wave propagation (such as conduction velocity restitution and discordant alternans) and the effects of electrical stimulation control. For examples of our work in this area, please see the following recent publications (additional publications on the "Publications" page):
34. Krogh-Madsen T and Christini DJ, “APD dispersion and alternans in simulated heterogeneous cardiac tissue with a structural barrier,” Biophysical Journal, 92:1138-1149; doi:10.1529/biophysj.106.090845 (2007).
35. Gong Y, Xie F, Stein KM, Garfinkel A, Culianu CA, Lerman BB, Christini DJ, “General mechanism underlying initiation of paroxysmal atrial flutter/atrial fibrillation by ectopic foci – A simulation study,” Circulation, 115:2094-2102; doi:10.1161/circulationaha.106.656504 (2007).
36. Jordan PN and Christini DJ, “Characterizing the contribution of voltage- and calcium-dependent coupling to action potential stability: Implications for repolarization alternans,” American Journal of Physiology, 293:H2109-H2118; doi:10.1152/ajpheart.00609.2007 (2007).
40. Krogh-Madsen T and Christini DJ, "Resetting and termination of reentry in a loop-and-tail cardiac model," Physical Review E, 77:011916-1 – 011916-5; doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.77.011916 (2008).
42. Ahrens-Nicklas RC, Clancy CE, Christini DJ, “Re-evaluating the efficacy of beta-adrenergic agonists and antagonists in long QT-3 syndrome through computational modeling,” Cardiovascular Research, 82:439-447; doi:10.1093/cvr/cvp083 (2009).
43. Maoz A, Krogh-Madsen T, and Christini DJ, "Instability in action potential morphology underlies phase-2 reentry – A mathematical modeling study," Heart Rhythm, 6:813-822; doi:10.1016/j.hrthm.2009.02.043 (2009).