1. Holden, R.J., Scanlon, M.C., Patel, N.R., Kaushal, R., Escoto, K.H., et al. A human factors framework and study of the effect of nursing workload on patient safety and employee quality of working life. Quality & Safety in Health Care. (In Press).
2. Simon SR, Soran CS, Kaushal R, Jenter CA, Volk LA, Burdick E, Cleary PD, Orav EJ, Poon EG, Bates DW. Physicians Usage of Key Functions in Electronic Health Records from 2005 to 2007: A Statewide Survey. J Am Med Inform Assoc. (In press).
3. Kaushal R, Bates DW, Jenter CA, Mills SA, Volk LA, Burdick E, Tripathi M, Simon SR. Imminent Adopters of Electronic Health Records in Ambulatory Care. Informatics in Primary Care. (In Press).
4. Stebbing C, Bates DW, Yoon C, Keohane C, Fitzmaurice G, Kaushal R. The Role of Advice in Medication Administration Errors in the Pediatric Ambulatory Setting. Journal of Patient Safety. (In Press).
5. Kaushal R, Bates DW, Jenter CA, Mills SA, Volk LA, Burdick E, Tripathi M, Simon SR. Imminent Adopters of Electronic Health Records in Ambulatory Care. Inf. in Prim Care. (In Press).
6. Rothschild JM, Bates DW, Franz C, Soukup JR, Kaushal R. The Costs and Savings Associated With Prevention of Adverse Events by Critical Care Nurses. The Journal of Critical Care. (In Press).
7. HEAL NY: Promoting interoperable health information technology in New York State. Kern, LM, Barron Y, Abramson EL, Patel V, Kaushal R. Health Affairs. 28(2):493-504. 2009 Mar-Apr.
8. Abramson E, Hyman D, Kaushal R. Implementing a Patient Safety and Quality Program in Two Pediatric Institutions. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 35(1):43-8, 2009 Jan.
9. O’Donnell HC, Kaushal R, Barron Y, Callahan MA, Adelman RD, Siegler EL. Physicians’ attitudes towards copy and pasting in electronic note writing. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 24(1):63-8, 2009 Jan.
10. Kansagra S, Rao S, Sullivan A, Gordon J, Magid D, Kaushal R, Camargo C, Blumenthal D. A Survey of Workplace Violence across 65 US Emergency Departments. Academic Emergency Medicine. 15(12):1268-74, 2008.
11.Yoon-Flannery K, Zandieh SO, Kuperman GJ, Langsam DJ, Hyman D, Kaushal R. A Qualitative Analysis of an Electronic Health Record (EHR) Implementation Plan in an Academic Ambulatory Setting. Informatics in Primary Care. 16(4):277-84, 2008.
12. Simon SR, Kaushal R, Jenter CA, Volk LA, Burdick E, Poon EG, Tumolo AZ, Tripathi M, Bates DW. Readiness for electronic health records: comparison of characteristics of practices in a collaborative with the remainder of Massachusetts. Inform Prim Care. 16(2):129-37, 2008.
13. Tsai CL, Sullivan AF, Gordon JA, Kaushal R, Magid DJ, Blumenthal D, Camargo CA Jr. Quality of care for acute asthma in 63 US emergency departments. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 123(2):354-61, 2008 Dec 11.
14. Magid DJ, Sullivan AF, Cleary PD, Rao SR, Gordon JA, Kaushal R, Guadognoli E, Camargo CA Jr, Blumenthal D. The Safety of Emergency Care Systems: Results of a Survey of Clinicians in 65 US Emergency Departments. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2008 Dec 1.
15. Porter SC, Kaushal R, Forbes PW, Goldmann D, Kalish LA. Impact of a patient-centered technology on medication errors during pediatric emergency care. Ambulatory Pediatrics. 8(5):329-35, 2008 Sep-Oct.
16. DesRoches CM, Campbell EG, Rao SR, Donelan K, Ferris TG, Jha A, Kaushal R, Levy DE, Rosenbaum S, Shields AE, Blumenthal D. Electronic health records in ambulatory care—a national survey of physicians. N Engl J Med. 359(1):50-60, 2008 Jul 3.
17. Kaushal R, Bates DW, Abramson EL, Soukup JR, Goldmann DA. Unit-based clinical pharmacists’ prevention of serious medication errors in pediatric inpatients. J Health Syst Pharm. 65(13):1254-60, 2008 Jul 1.
18. Zandieh SO, Yoon-Flannery K, Kuperman GJ, Langsam DJ, Hyman D, Kaushal R. Challenges to EHR Implementation in Electronic- Versus Paper-based Office Practices: A Qualitative Study. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 23(6):755-61, 2008 Jun.
19. Kaushal R, Shapiro J, Kern K. The Future of RHIOs in New York. Health Affairs. 2008, May 6.
20. Kern LM, Barron Y, Blair AJ, Salkowe J, Chambers D, Callahan MA, Kaushal R. Electronic result viewing and quality of care in small group practices. J Gen Intern Med. 23(4):405-10;pp405-411, 2008 Mar.
21. Simon SR, McCarthy ML, Kaushal R, Jenter CA, Volk LA, Poon EG, Yee KC, Oray EJ, Williams DH, Bates DW. Electronic health records: which practices have them, and how are clinicians using them? J Eval Clin Pract. 14(1):43-7, 2008 Feb.
22. Zandieh SO, Goldmann DA, Keohane CA, Yoon C, Bates DW, Kaushal R. Risk factors in preventable adverse drug events in pediatric outpatients. The Journal of Pediatrics. 152(2):225-31, 2008 Feb.
23. Sullivan AF, Camargo CA, Clearly PD, Gordon JA, Guadagnoli E, Kaushal R, Magid, DJ, Rao SR, Blumenthal D. The National Emergency Department Safety Study: Study Rationale and Design. Academic Emergency Medicine. 14(12):1182-1189, 2007 Dec.
24. Simon SR, Kaushal R, et al. Physicians and electronic health records: a statewide survey. Arch Intern Med. 167(5):507-12, 2007 Dec 12.
25. Hripcsak G, Kaushal R, et al. The United Hospital Fund meeting on evaluating health information exchange. J Biomed Inform. 40(6):S3-10, 2007 Dec.
26. Kaushal R, Bates DW, Franz C, Soukup JR, Rothschild JM. Costs of adverse events in intensive care units. Critical Care Medicine. 35(11):2479-83, 2007 Nov.
27. Poon EG, Simon SR, Jenter CA, Kaushal R, Volk LA, Cleary PD, Tumolo AZ, Bates DW, Use of features in electronic health records and health care quality: How are they related? AMIA Annu Symo Proc. 2007 Oct 11:: 1079.
28. Kaushal R, Goldmann DA, Keohane CA, Hale AS, Christino M, Honour M, Zigmont K, Lehman LS, Perrin J, Bates DW. Adverse Drug Events and Near-misses in Pediatric Outpatients. Ambul Pediatr. 7(5):383-89, 2007 Sep.
29. Kern LM, Kaushal R. Health information technology and health information exchange in New York State: new initiatives in implementation and evaluation. J Biomed Inform. 40(6):S17-20, Epub 2007 Sep 7.
30. Schulman J, Kuperman GJ, Kharbanda A, Kaushal R. Discovering How to Think About a Hospital Patient Information System by Struggling to Evaluate It: a Committee’s Journal. JAMIA. 14:537-41, 2007 Jun 28.
31. Stebbing C, Wong IC, Kaushal R, Jaffe A. The Role of Communication in Pediatric Drug Safety. Arch Dis Child. 92(5):440-5, 2007 May.
32. Wang JK, Herzog NS, Kaushal R, Park C, Mochizuki C, Weingarten SR. Prevention of by Hospital Pharmacists and the Additional Benefit of Computerized Physician Order Entry. Pediatrics. 119(1):e77-85, 2007 Jan.
33. Killelea B, Kaushal R, Kuperman G. To What Extent Do Pediatricians Accept Computer-based Dosing Suggestions? Pediatrics. 119(1):e69-75, 2007 Jan.
34. Simon SR., Kaushal R, et al. Correlates of electronic health record adoption in office practices: a statewide survey. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 14(1): 110-7, 2007 Jan-Feb.
35. Stebbing C, Kaushal R, Bates DW. Pediatric Medication Safety and the Media: What does the Public See? Pediatrics. 117(6):1907-14, 2006 Jun.
36. Kaushal R, Upadhyayula S, Gaba D, Leape L. The Wild West: Patient Safety in Office-Based Anesthesia. AHRQ Web M&M, 2006 May.
37. Kaushal R, Jha AK, Franz C, Glaser J, Shetty KD, Jaggi T, Middleton B, Kuperman G, Khorasani R, Tanasijevic M, Bates DW. Return on Investment for a Computerized Physician Order Entry System. JAMIA. 13(3):261-6, 2006 May-Jun.
38. Poon EG, Jha AK, Christino M, Honour MM, Fernandopulle R, Middleton B, Newhouse J, Leape L, Bates DW, Blumenthal D, Kaushal R. Assessing the Level of Healthcare Information Technology Adoption in the United States: A Snapshot. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 6:1, 2006 Jan 5.
39. Alper SJ, Karsh BT, Holden RJ, Scanlon MC, Patel N, Kaushal R. Protocol Violations During Medication Administration in Pediatrics. Proceedings from HFES 50th Annual Meeting. 2006.
40. McPhilllips HA, Stille CJ, Smith D, Hecht J, Pearson J, Stull J, DeBellis K, Andrade S, Miller M, Kaushal R, Gurwitz J, Davis RL. Potential Medication Dosing Errors in Outpatient Pediatrics. Journal of Pediatrics. 147 (6): 761-767, 2005 Dec.
41. Kaushal R, Bates DW, Poon EG, Jha AK, Fanjiang G, Middleton B, Honour MM, Franz C, Christino M, Fernandopoulle R, Glaser J, Kuperman G, Newhouse J, Blumenthal D. Functional Gaps in Attaining a National Health Information Network. What will it take to get there in five years? Health Affairs. 24(5):1281-89, 2005 Sep 14.
42. Kaushal R, Blumenthal D, Poon EG, Jha AK, Franz C, Middleton B, Glaser J, Kuperman G, Christino M, Fernandopoulle R, Newhouse J, Bates DW. The Costs of a National Health Information Infrastructure. Annals of Internal Medicine. 143(3):165-73, 2005 Aug 2.
43. Rothschild JM, Landrigan CP, Cronin JW, Kaushal R, Lockley SW, Burdick E, Stone PH, Lilly CM, Katz JT, Czeisler CA, Bates DW. The Critical Care Safety Study: The Incidence and Nature of Adverse Events and Serious Medical Errors in Intensive Care. Critical Care Medicine. 33(8):1694-700, 2005 Aug.
44. Walsh K, Kaushal R, Chessare J. How to Avoid Pediatric Medication Errors: A User's Guide to the Literature. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 90(7):698-702, 2005 Jul.
45. Sittig DF, Shiffman RN, Leonard K, Friedman C, Rudolph B, Hripscsak G, Adams LL, Kleinman LC, Kaushal R. A Draft Framework for Measuring Progress towards the Development of a National Health Information Infrastructure. BIOMED Central Informatics and Decision Making. 5:14, 2005 Jun 13.
46. Blumenthal D, Ferris T, Kuhlthau KA, Perrin J, Weissman JS, Wactherman M, Weil E, Kaushal R, Iezzoni L. The Who, What and Why of Risk Adjustment: A Technology on the Cusp of Adoption. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law. 30(3):453-73, 2005 Jun.
47. Landrigan CP, Rothschild JM, Cronin JW, Kaushal R, Burdick E, Katz JT, Lilly CM, Stone PH, Lockley SW, Bates DW, Czeisler CA. Effect of reducing interns' work hours on serious medical errors in intensive care units. New England Journal of Medicine. 351(18):1838-48, 2004 Oct 28.
48. Poon EG, Blumenthal D, Kaushal R et al. Overcoming barriers to adopting and implementing computerized physician order entry systems in U.S. hospitals. Health Aff (Millwood). 23(4):184-90, 2004 Jul-Aug.
49. Poon EG, Blumenthal D, Jaggi T, Honour MM, Bates DW, Kaushal R. Overcoming the Barriers to Adopting and Implementing Computerized Physician Order Entry Systems in US Hospitals: A Senior Management Perspective. Health Affairs. 23(4):184-190, 2004 Jul-Aug.
50. Kaushal R, Jaggi T, Walsh K, Fortescue EB, Bates DW. Pediatric medication errors: what do we know? What gaps remain? Ambulatory Pediatrics. 4(1):73-81, 2004 Jan-Feb.
51. Kaushal R, Shojania KG, Bates DW. Effects of computerized physician order entry and clinical decision support systems on medication safety: a systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine. 163(12):1409-16, 2003 Jun 23.
52. Fortescue EB, Kaushal R, Landrigan CP, McKenna KJ, Clapp MD, Federico F, Goldmann DA. Bates DW. Prioritizing strategies for preventing medication errors and adverse drug events in pediatric inpatients. Pediatrics. 111(4 Pt 1):722-9, 2003 Apr.
53. Kaushal R. Using chart review to screen for medication errors and adverse drug events. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 59(23):2323-5, 2002 Dec 1.
54. Rothschild JM, Federico FA, Gandhi TK, Kaushal R, Williams DH, Bates DW. Analysis of medication-related malpractice claims: causes, preventability, and costs. Archives of Internal Medicine. 162(21):2414-20, 2002 Nov 25.
55. Goldmann D, Kaushal R. Time to tackle the tough issues in patient safety. Pediatrics. 110(4): 823-6, 2002 Oct.
56. Kaushal R, Bates DW. Information technology and medication safety: what is the benefit? Quality & Safety in Health Care. 11(3):261-5, 2002 Sep.
57. Kaushal R, Barker KN, Bates DW. How can information technology improve patient safety and reduce medication errors in children's health care? Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 155(9):1002-7, 2001 Sep.
58. Kaushal R, Bates DW, Landrigan C, McKenna KJ, Clapp MD, Federico F, Goldmann DA. Medication errors and adverse drug events in pediatric inpatients. JAMA. 285(16):2114-20, 2001 Apr 25.