The Citigroup Biomedical Imaging Center continues to provide an amazing work environment with projects and publications arising from over 30 funded researchers spanning over 9 insitutions. Opportunities exist to apply cutting edge Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Imaging techniques to a myriad of clinical and pre-clinical applications including but not limited to genetic medicine, neurology, oncology, orthopaedics and psychiatry.
Key publications have arisen from collaborations that I've had the privilege of participating in:
- Department of Neurosurgery, WCMC: Identification of residual malignant glioma following implantation of novel localized chemotherapy was performed using MR spectroscopic imaging techniques.
- Department of Genetic Medicine, WCMC: Diffusion weighed imaging (DWI) was used to assess disease progression and severity in the pediatric neurodegenerative disorder known as Batten disease.
- Department of Hematology, WCMC: Power Doppler Sonography and Dynamic Contrast Enhanced (DCE-MRI) was used to assess the degree and location of joint synovitis in subjects with hemophilia.
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia/Brown Univ: Perfusion and permeability was examined in a pre-clinical model of osteoarthritis using DCE-MRI.
Ongoing work focuses on the following:
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, WCMC/HSS: Multi-Modality Angiogenic and Osteoblastic MRI and PET Imaging of Fracture Healing (CTSC Pilot Award, 2008-9).
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, WCMC/HSS: Clinical assessment of femoral head vascularity using DCE-MRI following subcapital fractures of the femoral neck.
New projects continue to provide a challenging arena for applying diagnostic medical imaging techniques to advance clinical and pre-clinical studies within the research community.