Please read this application carefully before applying.
General information about the Weill Cornell elective program:
- Electives are four weeks long and are available to full-time students in good standing at approved medical schools. No variations from these dates are possible.
- Students must be in their FINAL year of medical school and must be fluent in English.
- Applicants from medical schools where English is not the language of instruction will be interviewed by phone to determine fluency.
- Students are limited to a maximum of 3 four-week rotations. Some two-week rotations may be an option.
- Applications must be received no later than 6 months before the start date of the elective.
- Directly contacting individual clinical sponsors for placement is discouraged. Please coordinate your requests with the Office of Global Health Education.
- Verification by the appropriate official of your medical school indicating that you are currently enrolled and in good standing. Use the Dean or Registrar verification form attached.
- A Dean's letter of recommendation.
- Your CV (curriculum vitae)
- A statement of intent explaining your reason for the particular elective.
- International students must pay a fee of $2,000 for each elective month of participation.
- The application fee of $200 to Weill Cornell Medical College is non-refundable.
- Students are expected to provide a copy of health insurance before acceptance.
- Students with malpractice insurance should send a copy of the policy.
- Students must make their own housing arrangements. There is limited housing at the Medical College. It is strongly recommended that you make housing arrangements prior to arriving in New York City. Housing can be expensive and difficult to find on short-term basis.
The application process is highly competitive and the Office of Global Health Education does not guarantee that elective slots will be available to an applicant at the date selected and for the specific elective noted on the application.
Fluency in English
A telephone interview will be scheduled for students attending a Non-English speaking medical school.
Visiting students are subject to the same rules and regulations that apply to Cornell students. Registration and continued participation in electives are based on satisfactory academic performance, English language skills, and behavior. Students whose performance, language skills or behavior are considered unsatisfactory may be administratively withdrawn from the program and sent home.
Students are encouraged to visit the United States on a tourist visa B1/B2. Students should apply for a visa after receiving the electives approval letter. Visiting students are not considered degree candidates at the Weill Cornell Medical College.
All approved students must pay a fee of $30.00 (by paper check only┐no money order, no cash, no credit card payment) to the New York State Education Department (NYSED). The check should be sent via airmail together with the student's Dean's verification letter and the Office of Global Health Education acceptance letter. The NYSED application form must be completed and mailed to the Albany address by the student with other documents listed. Students who do not comply with this requirement will not be allowed to begin their elective at Weill Cornell. The NYSED application form can be found here.
Please note: A copy of this NYSED form must be sent electronically or by hard copy to the Office of Global Health Education, Attention: Dianne Young.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Completed applications should ideally be received 6 months BEFORE the start of the elective. Students will be notified via e-mail of acceptance or rejection in a timely manner.
- After being notified of approval, students are required to send a deposit of $500 made to Weill Cornell Medical College, within 2 weeks after being notified of approval in order to hold their elective space. This payment may be made electronically, paid by money order, or by check. (See instructions)
- Students must complete the Infection Control Online Exam. A Certificate of Completion of the Infection Control exam must be printed and a copy mailed / scanned to Ms Dianne Young in the Office of Global Health Education. (Full Instructions for completing Infection Control Online Exam are detailed here).
- Elective fees are $2000 per month, excluding costs of travel and accommodations. The balance of $1500 MUST be paid 1 month in advance of the elective start date in order to secure the elective slot. Once a student's schedule is set, no changes in assignments will be permitted.
- Should your plans prevent you from traveling to New York for your elective, please notify this office immediately, either by telephone or by e-mail.