Please send your complete application to email@example.com and allow for up to two weeks for an email confirmation that it has been received. If an applicant must mail any documents or payments, please send to the following address:
Office of Global Health Education
Weill Cornell Medical College
402 E 67th Street
New York, NY 10065
Requirements for Application Submission:
The following items are required at the time of application. Documents must be in Microsoft Word, PDF, or JPEG formats. No zip files, Google Drive documents, or iCloud links will be accepted. Label all documents: LastName.DocumentName (ex. Smith.Transcript). If you are missing any documents, your application will be marked incomplete which may increase the processing time.
- International Elective Application Form
- The elective application form should be filled out completely. This is the main page of your application. For guidance on how to complete the elective dates and choices, please see the “Catalog” section.
- Dean or Registrar Verification Form
- The Dean or Registrar’s office of your medical school must complete this form.
- Dean's Letter of Recommendation
- A recommendation letter is required from the Dean of your medical school. It should contain the following:
- You are a full time student in your final year of medical school
- You are in good academic standing
- Your expected date of graduation
- You are allowed to participate in the clinical electives program for international medical students at Weill Cornell.
- Health Statement
- Your physician must complete this form.
- Statement of Intent
- The Statement of Intent can include your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell, for choosing specific electives, etc. Please limit to one page single-spaced.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) with Photo
- Your CV should indicate your educational background, work experience, professional activities, conferences, publications, etc.
- Official Transcripts with grades/marks
- Include a key of your university’s grading system if it is not included on your official transcript.
- Application Fee - $300 USD.
- This is a non-refundable application fee that must be paid at the time of application.
- Application fees are only accepted in two forms, checks or electronic transfers; see “Guidelines” section for more information.
- Include proof of payment along with other application documents.
- NOTE: Bank or transfer fees are the responsibility of the applicant and do not count towards the $300 application fee.
Optional Documents (Not required for application)
- USMLE Scores – The USMLE is not a requirement for our program.
- TOEFL Scores
- Additional recommendation letters (Note: required if applying to PSYC electives)
Requirements After Approval Notification:
- This information will also be shared with you at the time of approval notification, but you may review in order to familiarize yourself with the requirements of preparing for your elective. Do not complete any of these steps until you have been approved for an elective at Weill Cornell.
- All students are required to submit proof of health insurance coverage and malpractice insurance coverage during their elective period.
- Elective fees are $2000 per month, excluding costs of travel and accommodations. After being notified of approval, students are required to send a deposit of $500 made to Weill Cornell Medical College, within 2 weeks after being notified of approval in order to hold their elective space. The remaining balance of $1500 MUST be paid 1 month in advance of the elective start date. Once a student's schedule is set, no changes in assignments will be permitted. One payment of $2000 is also acceptable.
- Students must make their own housing arrangements. There is limited housing at the Medical College. It is strongly recommended that you make housing arrangements prior to arriving in New York City. Housing can be expensive and difficult to find on short-term basis.
- Students must complete the Infection Control Online Exam. A Certificate of Completion of the Infection Control exam must be printed and a copy mailed / scanned to Dianne Young in the Office of Global Health Education. Full instructions are detailed here.
- Students must complete the Annual Hospital Training and submit the certificate of completion to the Office of Global Health Education. Information regarding this will be sent to the student after approval.
- Students must pay a fee of $30.00 (by paper check only - no money order, no cash, no credit card payment) to the New York State Education Department (NYSED). The check should be sent via airmail together with the student's Dean's Verification letter and the Office of Global Health Education acceptance letter. The NYSED application form must be completed and mailed to the Albany address by the student with other documents listed. Students who do not comply with this requirement will not be allowed to begin their elective at Weill Cornell. The NYSED application form can be found here. A copy of this NYSED form must be sent electronically or by hard copy to the Office of Global Health Education, Attention: Dianne Young.
- Should your plans prevent you from traveling to New York for your elective, please notify this office immediately, either by telephone or by e-mail. A cancellation fee may be applied. For more information, please see the section “Cancellation Policy for International Students”.