Please carefully read through the following guidelines before applying to the program.
NOTICE: As of October 3, 2017, any electives starting April 1st, 2018 onward will incur an elective fee of $2,500 for each elective month (4 weeks) of participation.
- Read through the information on the website before contacting the Office of Global Health Education regarding the application guidelines and documents, as most questions will be answered.
- If your query has not been answered on the website, the best way to contact the Office of Global Health Education is via email. Applicants should submit any inquiries, application forms, and additional documents electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If an applicant must mail any documents or payments, please send to the following address:
Office of Global Health Education
Weill Cornel Medical College
402 E 67th Street
New York, NY 10065
- All phone inquiries should be made to the following phone numbers (646)-962-8058 or (646)-962-8666. Inquiries to any other number will not be returned.
- Electives are two or four weeks long and are available to full-time, FINAL year students in good standing at approved medical schools. Students are limited to a maximum of eight weeks.
- Students must be fluent in English and applicants from medical schools where English is not the language of instruction will be interviewed by phone to determine fluency.
- Application documents can be found in the "Application" section. Completed applications should be submitted to email@example.com at least 6 months in advance of the elective start date. Students will be notified via e-mail of acceptance or rejection in a timely manner.
- Do not contact individual clinical sponsors for information on vacancies, elective availability, placement etc. Coordinate your requests with the Office of Global Health Education. Those who contact clinical departments directly will be disqualified from participating in the program.
- July and August are the beginning of the academic year and chances of placement are extremely low. Please consider alternative months for your elective.
- The application process is highly competitive and the Office of Global Health Education does not guarantee that elective slots will be available to an applicant at the date selected and for the specific electives noted on the application.
- Students must make their own housing arrangements. There is limited housing at the medical college. It is strongly recommended that you make housing arrangements prior to arriving in New York City. Housing can be expensive and difficult to find on short-term basis.
Fees and Payments
- There is a $300 non-refundable application fee due at the time of application.
- Please note, as of October 3, 2017, any electives starting April 1st, 2018 onward will incur an elective fee of $2,500 for each elective month (4 weeks) of participation.
- Fees are only accepted via PayPal or personal check.
- Personal Check: To send a personal check via airmail, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for confirmation prior to mailing. Make payable to Weill Cornell Medical College and mailed to the Office of Global Health Education (see above for address).
- Electronic wire transfers are no longer accepted for payment. Only PayPal or personal check with confirmation will be accepted going forward.
- PayPal: To submit your application fee through PayPal, please use the button below:
- Visiting international students are subject to the same rules and regulations that apply to Weill Cornell students. Registration and continued participation in electives are based on satisfactory academic performance, English language skills, and behavior.
- Students whose performance, language skills or behavior are considered unsatisfactory may be administratively withdrawn from the program and sent home.
- Students are encouraged to visit the United States on a tourist visa B1/B2. Students should apply for a visa after receiving the electives approval letter. Visiting students are not considered degree candidates at the Weill Cornell Medical College.
- Students are required to submit an application to the New York State Education Department (NYSED), if approved for an elective at Weill Cornell. More information will be provided.