Green Cleaning

Compiled by Clare Casey and Tom Nichols

Save money and the planet at the same time with recipes for making your own non-toxic and amazingly cheap cleaning products.

Window Cleaner

3 Tablespoons white vinegar, 1/3 teaspoon of pure vegetable soap, like castile soap, and 2 cups of water in a recycled plastic bottle. The vinegar smell does not linger, by the way.

Fresh Lemons!!

Not only will it clean a cook-top, lemon juice smells good too. It lifts your spirits and makes anytime like spring cleaning. Add some lime juice for a twist.

For anyone who has a cat, I used fresh lemons to disinfect my roommate’s litter box when I was cat-sitting, and it did wonders with that.

Baking Soda

Baking soda be used to clean grills (along with white vinegar), as well as the stove top.

It can also be used as a fabric softener, thus avoiding all of the artificial fragrances and colors found in the commercial variety.

Earth Day with Oprah

When Sandra Bullock opened her first restaurant, Bess Bistro, in Austin in 2006, she insisted that her eco-friendly standards she used in her personal life apply. Instead of sending customers home with plastic utensils and cups, Sandra says she buys biodegradable materials. For instance, the takeout containers may look like Styrofoam, but they are actually made from sugar cane.

Tour Sandra's eco-friendly Austin eatery.

I had dinner at Bess Bistro last fall and I can attest that the tables are lovely. I enjoy supporting an establishment with green values, and I included this to show that a few small steps and changes can make a big difference overall.

There are pros and cons to utensils, take out containers, and other items made from plant sources. The ultimate solution is to eliminate their use as much as possible, but until that happens, it’s a decent alternative.

Be green.

Posted on 10/19/2009 in Green Restaurant, housekeeping, save money | Permalink

Contact Info

The content of this site is managed by the Sustainability Web Publishing Team.  If you have comments or suggestions please contact us via email using the links below.  If you are interested in volunteering to support the team, please contact Kristen directly.

Kristen Adams, Department of Anesthesiology

Dorysel Mora, Department of Neurology