LABORATORY COATS are a critical component to worker protection in both laboratory and clinical/patient-care areas. All students, faculty, staff, and visitors who conduct the following work activities must be provided a laboratory coat:
- work in laboratories
- handle biological, chemical, or radiological materials and waste
- handle human blood, tissue, cell lines, or other potentially infectious materials
- direct contact with patients
- handle clinical specimens
UNITEX TEXTILE SERVICES: WCMC Purchasing has established a service agreement with Unitex Textile Services to provide and launder laboratory coats. Laboratory coats are tagged and bar-coded to identify ownership, increase auditing efficiencies, and reduce lost or missing garments. Unitex offers two program options listed below. Standardized embroidery templates with WCMC logos are available to facility ordering.
- Rental - This program provides laboratory coats and laundry service on a rental basis. Rental fees are charged for all laboratory coats based on the service collection cycle established for your account (e.g., weekly or bi-weekly collections). The following are additional services provided by Unitex:
- Customer Owned Garments (COG) - This program is a laundry-only service for those laboratories and departments which already own laboratory coats and wish to continue to use and launder them or prefer to purchase new laboratory coats from Unitex for inclusion in the COG laundry service. Charges are only incurred when COG laboratory coats are provided to Unitex for laundry.
LABORATORY COAT TYPES: There are three styles of laboratory coats available for laboratories and clinical areas:
- Standard Laboratory Coat - Traditional white laboratory coats.
- Standard Laboratory Coat with Cuffs - Traditional white laboratory coats with knitted cuffs for workers concerned about the open sleeve interfering with their work.
- Flame-Resistant Laboratory Coat - Flame-resistant laboratory coats provide increased protection against flash fires and must be worn with working with pyrophoric materials and other high fire hazard operations.
Utilize the Unitex laboratory coat ordering forms listed below (see "Unitex-related Documentation) to order specific coats for clinical and for laboratory areas.
UNITEX SALES CONTACTS AND DOCUMENTATION:
For sales (new accounts)
For service calls, additional products, billing questions, to report missing laboratory coats:
To request copies of invoices:
Unitex Related Documentation
- Welcome Information
- New Account Data Sheet
- Lab Coat Order Form for Laboratories
- Lab Coat Order Form for Clinical Areas
- Unitex Memorandum outlining improved service changes
Financial-related, contact WCMC Purchasing at 646-962-3900
Operational-related, contact WCMC EHS at 646-962-7233 or firstname.lastname@example.org