Asbestos, Lead and Mold

Asbestos is a natural mineral fiber that was used in building materials such as insulation, fire proofing and floor tiles. Asbestos is only hazardous when it is disturbed in a way that causes it to become air-borne. In order to protect the community, EHS maintains an asbestos management program and oversees all work that involves the disturbance of asbestos containing materials to assure that it is done safely and in compliance with local, state and federal regulations. For additional information on asbestos at WCMC, please see the Asbestos Management Program manual.

Lead is a toxic metal that was used for many years in paint and other products. Deteriorating lead based paint can present a hazard anyone who may inhale or ingest lead dust. In order to protect the WCMC community, the Lead Protection Program manual has been established to outline the types of lead-dust generating activities that may occur at the College, the applicable methods for protection and the responsibilities of the different personnel involved.

While mold is naturally occurring in the environment, excessive mold growth (e.g., fungal amplifications) in indoor spaces can cause structural and property damage, as well as lead to allergic reactions and other adverse health effects in building occupants. In order to prevent excessive mold growth, EHS has developed guidance on Responding to Water Damage and Preventing Mold Growth.