Recently in Treasure of the Week Category
The Harry Gold Papers have now been processed and the finding is available at our website on our personal papers page.
Dr. Harry Gold was an pioneer in the use of digitalis glycosides for the treatment of cardiac failure. Seventy five years ago, Drs. Gold, Kwit, and Otto developed the double blind controlled method using placebos for testing drugs. In a double blind study, the clinical trial is conducted with both the researchers and patients not knowing who is in the control group and who is in the drug group until after the clinical trial data has been collected.
The Weill Greenberg Building at 1305 York Avenue turned 5 years old in January. It opened on January 26th and is the college's first clinical services building. The building was named for Maurice Greenberg and Sanford I. Weill who are major benefactors of the medical center. As well as clinical and research space, the building also houses the Clinical Skills Center, where students can practice clinical skills on "actor" patients and the Mrya Mahan Patient Resource Center,
In September, our medical center will be 80 years old. In the course of the year, we will featured anniversaries of milestones or events at the medical center. Here is a picture of the medical center in the 1930s. For more information about the history of the medical center, please visit our 75th Anniversary Exhibit on our website.
This weekend we had a small early storm that caused hectic in the metropolitan area. The image above shows the blizzard of 1947, a record breaking storm that hit New York on Christmas 1947 dropping 26.6 inches of snow. This scene of York Avenue was taken by Farrington Daniels, who became the chief of the Division of Dermatology at the medical center.
The Roy Bonsnes, PhD (1909-1993) Collection has been recently processed by Queens College, intern, Lisa Bocchimuzzo. The collection includes correspondence, research notes, and publications written by Dr. Bonsnes, who has a chemist at the New York Hospital and on the biochemistry faculty of Cornell University Medical College, from 1943-1980.