Chair: Hazel H. Szeto, M.D., Ph.D. '77
Award of Distinction
Alumni Award of Distinction Dinner honoring Kathleen M. Foley, M.D. '69
Griffis Faculty Club - May 28, 2014
(left to right: Dean Laurie H. Glimcher, Kathleen M. Foley, M.D. '69, and
R. Ernest Sosa, M.D. '78)
Established in 1949, the annual WCMC Alumni Association (WCMCAA) Award of Distinction recognizes an alumnus/a who has demonstrated exceptional achievement in education, research, or patient care, and who has brought honor and acclaim to the Medical College. The honoree is recognized at the Alumni Award of Distinction Dinner, marches with the Commencement Platform Party, and receives a special plaque presented by the Dean during Commencement.
The nine member WCMCAA Awards Committee collects nominations from the membership at large each year and presents a candidate to the WCMCAA Board of Directors. Committee members are appointed by the WCMCAA President and purposefully remain anonymous with the exception of the Chairman, who is non-voting.
To nominate a candidate for the Award of Distinction, please complete the Award of Distinction Nomination Form and return it to the Office of Alumni Relations via email at email@example.com or via fax at 212-832-0205. If you have any questions, please contact Clara Sharp in the Office of Alumni Relations at 646-317-7419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WCMC Alumni Association Award of Distinction Recipients
- 1949 - William S. McCann, M.D. '15 (*)
- 1950 - David P. Barr, M.D. '14 (*)
- 1951 - Connie M. Guion, M.D. '17 (*)
- 1952 - Niles P. Larsen, M.D. '16 (*)
- 1953 - William C. Menninger, M.D. '24 (*)
- 1954 - Samuel Z. Levine, M.D. '20 (*)
- 1955 - Irving S. Wright, M.D. '26 (*)
- 1956 - Preston A. Wade, M.D. '25 (*)
- 1957 - Henry H. Kessler, M.D. '19 (*)
- 1958 - Paul F. Russell, M.D. '21 (*)
- 1959 - Ida S. Scudder, M.D. 1899 (*)
- 1960 - Dean F. Smiley, M.D. '19 (*)
- 1961 - Irvine H. Page, M.D. '26 (*)
- 1962 - Paul Reznikoff, M.D. '20 (*)
- 1963 - May G. Wilson, M.D. '11 (*)
- 1964 - Milton Helpern, M.D. '26 (*)
- 1965 - S. Bernard Wortis, M.D. '27 (*)
- 1966 - Armand J. Quick, M.D. '28 (*)
- 1967 - Thomas P. Almy, M.D. '39 (*)
- 1968 - Philip Levine, M.D. '23 (*)
- 1969 - Alexander D. Langmuir, M.D.'35 (*)
- 1970 - William D. Holden, M.D. '37 (*)
- 1971 - Harry Gold, M.D. '22 (*)
- 1972 - Harriet L. Hardy, M.D. '32 (*)
- 1973 - Thomas H. Ham, M.D. '31 (*)
- 1974 - Charles G. Child II, M.D. '34 (*)
- 1975 - Gustave J. Dammin, M.D. '38 (*)
- 1976 - David E. Rogers, M.D. '48 (*)
- 1977 - Alfred E. Maumenee, Jr., M.D. '38 (*)
- 1978 - Charles A. LeMaistre, M.D. '47
- 1979 - Edwin D. Kilbourne, M.D. '44 (*)
- 1980 - W. Clarke Wescoe, M.D. '44 (*)
- 1981 - Walter F. Riker, Jr., M.D. '43M (*)
- 1982 - William A. Barnes, M.D. '37 (*)
- 1983 - Fred Plum, M.D. '47 (*)
- 1984 - Harry M. Rose, M.D. '32 (*)
- 1985 - Robert C. Hickey, M.D. '42 (*)
- 1986 - J. Robert Buchanan, M.D. '54
- 1987 - Robert J. Haggerty, M.D. '49
- 1988 - C. Everett Koop, M.D. '41 (*)
- 1989 - Joseph F. Artusio, M.D. '43M (*)
- 1990 - George A. Wolf, Jr., M.D. '41 (*)
- 1991 - Forrest C. Eggleston, M.D. '45
- 1992 - Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. '66
- 1993 - John H. Laragh, M.D. '48
- 1994 - Mary Ann Payne, M.D. '45 (*)
- 1995 - Roy C. Swan, M.D. '47 (*)
- 1996 - Carlton C. Hunt, Jr., M.D. '42 (*)
- 1997 - Gerald David Fischbach, M.D. '65
- 1998 - Heinz F. Eichenwald, M.D. '50 (*)
- 1999 - Merlin K. DuVal Jr., M.D. '46 (*)
- 2000 - Thomas Killip III, M.D. '52
- 2001 - Albert Z. Kapikian, M.D. '56
- 2002 - Gerald L. Mandell, M.D. '62
- 2003 - Elizabeth Barrett-Connor, M.D. '60
- 2004 - Francis V. Chisari, M.D. '68
- 2005 - John Allen Clements, M.D. '47
- 2006 - George H. McCracken, Jr., M.D. '62
- 2007 - Jay N. Cohn, M.D. '56
- 2008 - Elizabeth G. Nabel, M.D. '81
- 2009 - John Ross, Jr., M.D. '55
- 2010 - William Schaffner, M.D. '62
- 2011 - Anne A. Gershon, M.D. '64
- 2012 - Michael D. Gershon, M.D. '63
- 2013 - R. Gordon Douglas, Jr., M.D. '59
- 2014 - Kathleen M. Foley, M.D. '69
- (*) Deceased
Reunion 2014: WCMCAA Special Achievement Award Presentations
Left to right: Spencer H. Kubo, M.D. '80 and Peter M. Le Jacq, M.D. '81
The Special Achievement Award was adopted into the Alumni Association bylaws on October 24, 2008 at the Reunion Weekend biennial business meeting. The Special Achievement Award recognizes alumni with notable achievements in medicine or related fields that significantly advance healthcare and medical science. For example, this award acknowledges "non-traditional" healthcare-related endeavors in areas such as national policy, business and entrepreneurialism, technology, aerospace and engineering, arts and culture, philanthropy, and global and humanitarian aid and development.
The nine member WCMC Alumni Association Awards Committee collects nominations from the membership at large between July 1 and September 30 each year and presents a candidate to the WCMCAA Board of Directors. Committee members are appointed by the WCMCAA President and purposefully remain anonymous with the exception of the Chairman, who is non-voting.
To nominate a candidate for the Special Achievement Award, please complete a Special Achievement Award Nomination Form and fax it to the Office of Alumni Relations at 212-832-0205. If you have any questions about the Special Achievement Award, please contact Clara Sharp at 646-317-7419 or email@example.com.
WCMC Alumni Association Special Achievement Award Recipients
- 2010 - Jean W. Pape, M.D. '75
- 2011 - Ellen S. Baker, M.D. '78; Jay C. Buckey, Jr., M.D. '81; and Mae C. Jemison, M.D. '81 (nominated as a group)
- 2012 - Richard T. Silver, M.D. '53
- 2013 - Peter M. Le Jacq, M.D. '81
- 2014 - Bruce G. Gellin, M.D. '83, M.P.H.
Reunion 2014: WCMCAA Honorary Fellowship Award Presentations
Left to right: R. Ernest Sosa, M.D. '78, Katherine A. Hajjar, M.D.
(WCMCAA Honorary Fellow), and Spencer H. Kubo, M.D. '80
Since 1970, the WCMC Alumni Association Board of Directors has had the distinct pleasure of annually awarding Honorary Fellowship to two outstanding faculty members whose scholarship, dedication, and leadership have greatly enriched the life of the Medical College, its faculty, and its students. Honorary Fellows are recognized at Reunion Weekend and are invited to participate in all alumni events and activities.
The nine member WCMCAA Awards Committee selects and presents the candidates to the WCMCAA Board of Directors. Committee members are appointed by the WCMCAA President and purposefully remain anonymous with the exception of the Chairman, who is non-voting
WCMC Alumni Association Honorary Fellowship Recipients
- 1970 - John E. Deitrick, M.D.
- 1970 - Joseph C. Hinsey, Ph.D. (*)
- 1971 - McKeen Cattell, M.D., Ph.D. (*)
- 1971 - Vincent du Vigneaud, Ph.D. (*)
- 1972 - Walsh McDermott, M.D. (*)
- 1972 - Robert F. Pitts, Ph.D.
- 1973 - Dayton J. Edwards, Ph.D.
- 1973 - Frank Glenn, M.D. (*)
- 1974 - E. Hugh Luckey, M.D. (*)
- 1974 - Bronson S. Ray, M.D. (*)
- 1975 - Jeremiah A. Barondess, M.D.
- 1975 - Joseph N. Nathanson, M.D.C.M. (*)
- 1976 - John T. Ellis, M.D. (*)
- 1976 - Aaron Feder, M.D. (*)
- 1977 - Victor F. Marshall, M.D. (*)
- 1977 - Carl Muschenheim, M.D. (*)
- 1978 - R. Gordon Douglas, M.D.C.M. (*)
- 1978 - Cranston W. Holman, M.D. (*)
- 1979 - Charles L. Christian, M.D.
- 1979 - B. H. Kean, M.D. (*)
- 1980 - Julian R. Rachele, Ph.D. (*)
- 1980 - Philip D. Wilson, Jr., M.D.
- 1981 - Ralph L. Engle, Jr., M.D. (*)
- 1981 - Roger L. Greif, M.D.
- 1982 - Ralph L. Nachman, M.D.
- 1982 - G. Thomas Shires, M.D. (*)
- 1983 - Alexander G. Bearn, M.D. (*)
- 1983 - Oskar Diethelm, M.D. (*)
- 1984 - Dale R. Corson, Ph.D.
- 1984 - Mary Allen Engle, M.D. (*)
- 1985 - Robert Michels, M.D.
- 1985 - Isadore Rosenfeld, M.D.C.M.
- 1986 - Joseph P. Whalen, M.D.
- 1986 - Erich E. Windhager, M.D.
- 1987 - David V. Becker, M.D. (*)
- 1987 - Maria I. New, M.D.
- 1988 - D. Jackson Coleman, M.D.
- 1988 - Bjorn Thorbjarnarson, M.D.
- 1989 - Daniel R. Alonso, M.D.
- 1989 - E. Darracott Vaughan, Jr., M.D.
- 1990 - Fritz F. Fuchs, M.D. (*)
- 1990 - Marjorie J. Topkins, M.D.
- 1991 - Jerome J. DeCosse, M.D.(*)
- 1991 - Donald G. Johnson, M.D.
- 1992 - Peter A. M. Auld, M.D.
- 1992 - Joseph G. Hayes, M.D.
- 1993 - Graham G. Hawks, M.D. (*)
- 1993 - Marcus M. Reidenberg, M.D.
- 1994 - Jerome B. Posner, M.D.
- 1994 - John C. Whitsell II, M.D.
- 1995 - Stanley J. Behrman, D.M.D.
- 1995 - Stewart G. Wolf, Jr., M.D. (*)
- 1996 - Kenneth I. Berns, M.D.
- 1996 - William J. Ledger, M.D.
- 1997 - David P. Hajjar, Ph.D.
- 1997 - Anne Moore, M.D.
- 1998 - Julianne L. Imperato-McGinley, M.D.
- 1998 - David B. Skinner, M.D. (*)
- 1999 - O. Wayne Isom, M.D.
- 1999 - Harvey Klein, M.D.
- 2000 - William A. Frosch, M.D.
- 2000 - Carl F. Nathan, M.D.
- 2001 - Bruce L. Ballard, M.D.
- 2001 - Stephen H. Weiss (*)
- 2002 - Warren D. Johnson, Jr., M.D.
- 2002 - James P. Smith, M.D.
- 2003 - Margaret W. Hilgartner, M.D. (*)
- 2003 - Thomas M. Maack, M.D.
- 2004 - Jack D. Barchas, M.D.
- 2004 - Bernice S. Grafstein, Ph.D.
- 2005 - Otto F. Kernberg, M.D.
- 2005 - Olaf Sparre Andersen, M.D.
- 2006 - Zev Rosenwaks, M.D.
- 2006 - Roger W. Yurt, M.D.
- 2007 - Barry J. Hartman, M.D.
- 2007 - Ira M. Jacobson, M.D.
- 2008 - Mark W. Pasmantier, M.D.
- 2008 - Richard B. Roberts, M.D.
- 2009 - Thomas Caputo, M.D.
- 2009 - Barbara Hempstead, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2010 - Antonio M. Gotto, Jr, M.D., D.Phil.
- 2010 - Thomas P. Sculco, M.D.
- 2011 - Ronald G. Crystal, M.D.
- 2011 - John J. Savarese, M.D.
- 2012 - Frank A. Chervenak, M.D.
- 2012 - Joan and Sanford I. Weill (**)
- 2013 - Katherine A. Hajjar, M.D.
- 2013 - David J. Skorton, M.D.
- 2014 - Laurie H. Glimcher, M.D.
- 2014 - Roberto Levi, M.D., D.Sc.
- (*) Deceased
- (**) Distinguished Fellowship Award